Entitlement to NHS Treatment

Overseas visitors will not be charged for NHS services. A patient does not need to be “ordinarily resident “in the country to be eligible for NHS primary care – in effect, therefore, anybody in Scotland may register and consult with a GP without charge. 

Application to register can be made by the patient or patient’s representative (e.g. parent, local authority, voluntary organisation etc) and that their details, are recorded on the registration form).

Anybody in Scotland may access primary care services at a GP practice without charge. No documents are required to register with a GP; however, to facilitate the registration process we would request that two forms of identification are produced, ideally if possible, one should be photographic, and one must contain your address. You maybe asked to sign a practice form to give your permission for us to retain these documents with your electronic patient record. 

These documents maybe be used to confirm your details with our local Health Board, if further information is requested by them. This also helps to ensure the correct matching of your details to any existing NHS record, enabling previous medical records to transfer smoothly between practices. We appreciate your assistance in this matter.

If you are unable to provide any documentation, then we will still register you, however we may need to contact our registration department first, to verify your information with them. This will normally involve a phone call between you, our registration department, and ourselves. Alternatively we may also email or write to them directly, we will require your consent for us to do so.

This will assist the practice in obtaining your medical records, without any further delays.

If you have any questions regarding NHS entitlement, or our registration policy please contact the Practice.

Medical emergencies

If you need immediate medical assistance (e.g. because of an accident) telephone 999. The call is free. An operator will ask you which emergency service you require (fire, police or ambulance). You will need to tell the emergency services what has happened and where you are. If someone is injured and needs to go to hospital an ambulance will arrive and take them to the nearest hospital with an emergency department

If you need urgent treatment but are well enough to travel please make your own way to the nearest Accident and Emergency Department.

For further information and guidance please click on the button below.